Christian and Patch Prt 1 What did the Dog see? Paull, Hull, 2002/3

I have been in contact recently with a gentleman by the name of Christian who has had some experiences in the past he wanted to share with me, he isn't making any claims, merely a strange set of circumstances that have left him with questions he cant answer and the need to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this in this area or anywhere else in the UK.

This encounter took place near a village called Paull, several miles north east of the city of Hull. The year was 2002/03.

I started visiting the area of the sighting, in the late summer/autumn of that year. I lived in Hull at the time, with my girlfriend and our young daughter. I had two good friends, whom I used to go out playing pool with. Jonny, who was my girlfriends nephew, and his friend Rob. In the evening we would go out in the car to Paull, which had three good pubs, all with pool tables. To complete the group there was Patch, my Jack Russell cross dog, who we took along for walkies before we went to play pool.


The lane we used to go down to let Patch have a run, is called Newlands Lane. It’s a narrow, lonely, quiet country lane; with hardly any traffic. It was so quiet, we could even sit in the car and let Patch wander about the lane by himself. If something did come, you could see it from quite a distance, and go and get him off the road. He never usually ventured far from the car, while we talked and had a smoke. The dark nights came, and we continued our routine of parking up in the passing place. I would let Patch out of the boot (parcel shelf removed), then have a chat and a smoke, whilst he wandered about. It was even easier to see cars coming in the dark, with their headlights visible from a great distance. One evening we'd been chatting away, and Jon suddenly noticed we hadn’t seen Patch for a while. I wasn’t too worried initially, and just called his name through the open window...nothing. I called again, and then got out; still nothing. There was no sign of him. To cut a long story short, there followed 20 Min's of frantic calling, and searching with torches before Patch finally turned up. Trotting down the lane from behind the car, seemingly none the worse for his little adventure.


No more was mentioned about this incident, until we went back a couple of nights later. We parked up in our usual spot, and it was very dark and quiet as I got out and went to open the boot. I had a large black box in there, in which I kept tools etc. Patch had got behind it somehow, and was hiding. Now a word about Patch, he is sadly no longer with us, but he used to love riding in the car. However, he loved walkies more than anything, and he should have leapt out of the boot as usual. When I moved the box and took his collar, he was shaking violently. I quickly realised he was terrified, and this was very odd, as this dog wasn’t scared of anything! I tried to reassure him, and as I didn’t want him doing anything in the car, I tried to get him out. He had other ideas, and just jumped straight back in the car. This happened several times, and he was obviously just too frightened. In the end, we had to drive to another area, and as soon as we were away from that lane he was fine. This continued to happen over the next few weeks, with Patch slowly getting bolder, but still totally freaked out by the place. We would soon realise exactly why he was so scared.

Over the next few weeks I will bring you more on Parch and Christain's encounter and I hope we can find him some answers. As most Brits will know the Jack Russell breed is a working dog, bred to hunt foxes as far back as the 1800's although short in stature they are a loyal and fierce breed and will work until they drop to get the job done. Something like a British fox or Badger would not of scared the dog so much, and to be honest I doubt a Large Puma type cat would either, the breed is known for its courage. Whatever scared him that much must of presented him with a fear he didn't forget and his reluctance to leave the car says a lot to me as a dog owner, and in fact probably does to many of you too.

Until next time Deborah.




Comments